Last night I received the preliminary galley from The Wild Rose Press for my romantic suspense novel ‘The Resort – A Frankie James Mystery‘. Since this is my first novel through a traditional publisher, I am also learning each step as a manuscript works its way through the system. In some ways it is a fascinating process, and is others it is a bit frustrating. For unpublished authors, I hope my blog about the process is something of value in letting them in on how it all works – at least with my publisher.
In November 2015 I received an answer to my query and the publisher (actually editor) requested a complete manuscript. In January, I received notice that the publisher accepted my manuscript and a contract to return. As any author knows, this was a huge day in the life of a writer — the first contract for a traditionally published novel. I nearly had to fix the ceiling of my living room from jumping too high in excitement. I admit, I debated about signing the contract, or doing an immediate search for an agent. I decided to go on my own for this first novel. An agent can always come later.
At that time I sent in the ‘final’ manuscript to my editor with great trepidation. I had no idea what to expect. In our first few email exchanges I found her to be delightful (she laughed at my bad jokes). I honestly expected the process to take months and was pleasently surprised when I received my first edits in about six weeks – early March. I worked on the edits for the next few weeks (actually it only took me a couple days, but the editor wanted me to take at least two weeks before I returned the revisions for a variety of reasons. At the end of that time frame – in it went.
I was expecting another round of edits, probably with more depth or massive revisions to scenes and chapters. But that didn’t happen. Instead I received really positive comments and then last night the preliminary galley maginally appeared. Up to this point it is about 12 weeks since I first received my contract. Somehow I was expecting the process to take much longer.
Now I know we still have a number of steps to move through. The next step is a production galley which only minimal fixes are allowed and then it goes to a copy editor. Once the copy editor approves it the final production galley is created and I get to review it one last time. If anything has to be fixed, it prolongs the process, so the plan is to have it ready to go before it gets to that point.
Once final approval comes, I will be notified of the planned release date and everything moves forward at that point. I expect it to be out the Fall of 2016.
Now, I have no idea yet on what the cover will look like and I am very curious to see the design. I was allowed to give my thoughts about what I perceive works, but the publisher has the final say. I did receive suggested blurbs for the cover and approved them already. Just another step in the overall process. I decided that once I receive the cover and the release date, I will begin a massive advertising campaign on social media.
While I have had many accounts on a variety of social media in the past, I have never been a big fan of Facebook, Twitter or the other popular places. However, I have begun to take a critical look at the best ways to employ each of these options and am spending time learning dome of the intricasies of each. In fact I am begining to work on a presentation on how to use social media to its best advantage or at least as a means to get your name out there. It is a tough job and requires a real effort, but that is a topic for another day.
Well it is time to get back to work on my next two novels … the second in the Frankie James series and the first in a ramantic paranormal series – The Noctis.